Made with cream cheese, these squares are packed full of Oreo cookie pieces and mini chocolate chips for chewy cookies & cream bars.
Leia ruined some of my things yesterday while I was at work. She chewed up the corners of one new book and helped herself to the savory insides of another, shredding it into literary confetti. I tried to salvage it with a roll of scotch tape, but the pages (or rather the remnants of pages) were beyond hope.
She also ate a box of mints, destroyed my favorite inky pen and spilled its indelible guts all over our one-and-only piece of carpet in the house, and, worse, got into my notebook where I had the first quarter of a handwritten (as in, no copies to be found on the computer, in my Google docs, or anywhere else in the universe) novel that I’d begun. By some miracle, even though I’d left my notebook open to the last page that I’d written, she’d only chewed out completely blank pages and all of my words were still intact, but I still had a heart attack initially.
She’s usually a very well-behaved dog, so this level of destructiveness was not typical. She’s just over a year old and I’ve heard that German Shepherds stay puppy-minded until they’re about 3 years old, so things could be a lot worse. Honestly it’s most likely my fault because the day before I’d been guiltily neglectful of her walk (it’s so cold outside!), but that didn’t make me any less angry about my ruined books. And pen. And the close encounter with America’s next best seller (kidding!).
Instead of taking (all of) my anger out on the dog, I directed it a more productive way. I took my nice, heavy rolling-pin to some innocent Oreos and smashed them to pieces. It helped, but not as much as the satisfaction of eating one of these cookie-crammed squares hot out of the oven did.
Honestly, they’re pretty dang remarkable. I’m talking tasty-enough-to-make-you-forget-your-dog-ruined-some-of-your-favorite-things good.
They’re made with butter and cream cheese, soft and chewy, chock-full-of mini chocolate chips and so many (obliterated) Oreo pieces. The cream cheese gives these squares an excellent and unmatched flavor and keeps them from being too sweet (and helps make them super soft).
If you’ve got some rage you need re-directed, take it out on a pack of Oreos. Trust me. Make these.
And if anyone knows how to get a puddle of pen ink out of carpet, I’d love to hear it.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 18 crushed Oreo cookies + 6 crushed Oreo cookies (divided don't completely pulverize them to crumbs, you want to have cookie pieces in these bars)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 13x9 pan.
- In KitchenAid mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Scrape down sides of bowl with a metal spatula and beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and then vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into your cream cheese mixture until completely combined (be sure to pause occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl).
- Stir in mini chocolate chips and 18 crushed Oreos.
- Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle the additional 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips and 6 crushed Oreo cookies overtop.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (edges will begin to turn golden brown) and allow to cool before cutting and serving.
If you’re into Oreos in your desserts, you might also like these “Dirty Brownies”
Or this mother of all things cookies & cream: this Oreo Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Cake