This is the best chewy blondie recipe! Buttery, soft, and simple to make (no mixer required!) I think you’re going to really love these!
This recipe is very similar to my well-loved chocolate chip cookie bars and is every bit as good! My Blondies recipe includes options for mixing in chopped nuts or white chocolate chips, but these cookie bars taste just as good without any add-ins at all. Be sure to check out my how-to video at the bottom of the recipe!
Thank goodness I had this easy blondie recipe planned to share today!
If you’ve been following my Instagram stories you already know that Zach and I are fostering three 7-week old puppies. They are the cutest, goofiest, fluffballs I’ve ever seen, but they’re also exhausting, so excuse me if a few of my sentences are a little incoherent today. Bonus puppy pics at the bottom of the post!
But back to the blondies.
Buttery, soft, chewy, loaded with your favorite add-ins, these cookie bars are packed with flavor and they are the perfect easy snack when you need a dessert in a pinch. Fortunately today’s recipe is super simple because I don’t know that I’d have the brainpower to focus on anything even mildly complex right now, but I do have a few tips and other info I want to share with you.
What is the Difference Between a Blondie and a Brownie?
The main difference between a blondie and a brownie is the chocolate.
Blondies are occasionally referred to as “blonde brownies”. They are made without cocoa powder and aspire to a rich vanilla flavor rather than a deep chocolate one. Blondies are also often made with brown sugar, and while I do use brown sugar in my brownies, the flavor has a more noticeable affect in the blondies (more on that below).
Here’s my favorite brownie recipe if you’re in the mood for something chocolatey!
Tips for Making Blondies
- You can use all light brown sugar, all dark brown sugar, or a combination of the two for this blondie recipe. I like to use half light and half dark. Keep in mind that if you use all dark brown sugar your blondies will have a richer, sweeter taste and a more moist texture.
- Melting the butter for this recipe gives the blondies a buttery taste and a soft, chewy texture. I much prefer melting the butter to creaming my butter and sugar when making blondies and cookies for this very reason (I do the same thing with my chocolate chip cookies).
- The extra egg yolk and the cornstarch are also key ingredients for making these blondies soft and chewy. I talked a lot about why I use cornstarch in my recent pumpkin bar recipe, if you want more information on that!
- You can add up to 2 cups of your favorite add-ins to this blondie recipe. I listed a mix of chopped walnuts and white chocolate chips in the recipe. I found that this combination provided a nice balance of sweetness and crunch. Of course, you can also leave the add-ins out completely!
Alright, well I have two puppies pulling on my shoelaces right now and another that’s determined to devour my couch, so I’m off to take care of that. Enjoy!
More Cookie Bars You Might Like
How to Make Homemade Blondies
Be sure to check out my Blondie Recipe VIDEO just below the recipe! If you enjoy these videos, please consider subscribing to my YouTube Channel so you can be the first to see all of my cooking videos <3
Best Blondie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted (226g)
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar* tightly packed (250g)
- ½ cup sugar (100g)
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature preferred
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (285g ) (note that in the video I accidentally said 2 ½ cups flour, that is incorrect, you only need 2 ¼ cups as written here)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup white chocolate chips (115g)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (130g)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper**
- Combine melted butter and sugar in a large bowl and stir well.
- Add eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir until completely combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet until completely combined.
- Fold in white chocolate chips and nuts, if using.
- Spread blondie batter into prepared pan and transfer to oven.
- Bake on 350F (175C) for 25-30 minutes*** or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few fudgy crumbs.
- Allow to cool before cutting and enjoying
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered an estimate only. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more.
Foster Puppy Bonus Pics!
Piper, Paula, and Paul (we didn’t name them!) are available for adoption through the rescue that Zach and I volunteer for: For the Love of Dogs Rescue.
OMG! Thank you for this recipe!! I did make one modification, in that I baked the dough in mini muffin tins. ( My husband and I both prefer corner pieces for the crisp edges!) They came out exactly as I fondly remember them, but with no yucky inside pieces! Thank you again!
Meredith A DeVoe
These are just what I was looking for. Simply divine! Thank you. I was worried because I discovered I had only 1 egg in the fridge, so I used flax egg to supplement, and you would never know. Wonderful chewy texture without being too heavy, shiny crinkly top. I used dark chocolate chunks. Definitely making these again in the future.
They were DELICIOUS. But next time I would definitely add a full cup of white chocolate chips. I (shockingly) did not find them sweet enough.
Best Blondie recipe I’ve found. Thee only blondie recipe I follow! This is a big hit in my house!!!! Thanks for sharing! The directions are accurate and easy to follow. The video is a bonus if you like following visually! Definitely recommend!
Emily @ Sugar Spun Run
We appreciate the review, Ally! We’re so happy you love the recipe and found the post helpful ❤️
Hi! I just want to say that these brownies are absolutely amazing!!! I am allergic to chocolate and these brownies in my opinion are way better then chocolate brownies!!! They are so moist, chewy, and have such a lovely carmely flavor that my family can’t get enough of!!! Thank you so much for this amazing recipe that makes me feel like I am not missing out on browines!! 🙂
Emily @ Sugar Spun Run
We’re so happy you were able to enjoy the blondies Anne! ❤️
Delicious! I decided to try browing the butter and added a bit of almond extract to really up the nutty flavor. It came out of the oven smelling amazing. It was so hard waiting for them to cool!! I just did white chocolate chips and no nuts, but next time I think I’m going to do both white chocolate and semi sweet. Definitely making again. Thanks so much for the recipe!!
Emily @ Sugar Spun Run
Yum, that sounds so good, PJ! Thanks for letting us know how it went for you 😊