Hi, I’m Sam, and I’m so happy to have you here! I’m dedicated to sharing sweet, simple, and from-scratch recipes with you! Thanks for stopping by Sugar Spun Run (also known as “Sugar Spun”!) my sweet little corner of the internet.
I’ve always been a baker. When I was too young and too short to see over the countertops, my mom would pull up a kitchen chair so I could help her while she baked. While her cakes usually came from of a box-mix (her from-scratch ones were always too dense, something I’ve since remedied with my cake recipes), everything else was always from scratch, and early on she impressed upon me that the best desserts were always made from scratch.
As I got older (and taller), I was eager to begin exploring the sugary chemistry of baking on my own, and baking has always been a critical part of my life. In middle school, I spent my mornings before school making cinnamon muffins and buttermilk pancakes. My high school partying surmounted to convincing my friends to help me bake and ice a cake at 2AM. In college, I de-stressed and procrastinated from studying by perfecting a recipe for scones. Practically my whole life I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen, working to develop the best versions of my favorite recipes.
After years of scribbling my recipes on scrap paper, Sugar Spun was born in 2012 as a way for me to share my carefully crafted, perfected recipes with you. Sugar Spun Run is a food blog dedicated to sharing sweet, simple, and from-scratch recipes. Here you’ll find classic dessert recipes like my perfect vanilla cake, sugar cookies, and the best cheesecake in the world.
My main focus here is desserts and baking, but I also share plenty of savory comfort foods like my award-winning chili recipe, my million dollar deviled eggs, and kitchen staples like my foolproof pizza dough.
On Sugar Spun, you will find only recipes that have been carefully and repeatedly tested. I include as much detail and as many tips in each of my recipes as possible. My goal is for you to have outstanding results in your own kitchen every time you try one of my recipes. All of my newer recipes also include detailed, step-by-step videos, showing you exactly how I make these recipes in my own kitchen.
You can expect to see new recipes and recipe videos from me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
As Seen On…
A little bit about me
- I’m named after “Samantha” from Bewitched. My dad tried to name my younger sister “Tabitha” (also from Bewitched) but my mom drew the line there.
- Speaking of younger sisters, I actually have 4. And a younger brother.
- I was homeschooled up until college. I graduated college with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.
- Before I was a full-time baker/blogger/photographer/recipe researcher here, I did head and neck cancer research at a local hospital, and before that behavioral pharmacology research at Johns Hopkins.
- I’ve been published as an author on a few scholarly manuscripts, but my real writing goal is to someday write a cookbook (and I know many of you have asked me for one… one day!).
- I met my husband, Zach, when we were 16 and working at a fast food restaurant. I had a huge crush on him then, but it took me two years to actually get up the nerve to finally tell him.
- Our son, Luke, was born in November of 2019. I love being his mom, he’s the silliest kid and has big opinions for such a little guy (and an even bigger sweet tooth than I do).
- We have two big dogs (Penny & Colt), and a cat named Saucy. I recently had to say goodbye to my sweet friend and German Shepherd, Leia, and miss her terribly.
- I adore all sweets, but my “worst” chocolate chip cookies are my favorite
Other Ways to Connect with Sugar Spun
If you haven’t already, please sign up for my e-mail list to be the first notified whenever I publish a new recipe! It’s free to sign up and you get a free e-book with 8 of my best cookie recipes!
I also recently started my own YouTube channel, it’s still a baby channel but I’d love it if you’d subscribe over there!
You can also find me on Instagram , Facebook , Twitter (I’m still getting the hang of Twitter…) or Pinterest, and I also have a new Facebook group for people to ask questions and share their photos. If you just follow one, make it my Facebook group. So many supportive bakers there and I occasionally run contests and giveaways here as well!