It’s cookie inception! These cookies & cream cookies are made of simple vanilla chocolate chip cookies that have been crammed full of Oreo pieces, and then topped off with dark chocolate, white chocolate, and cookie crumbs!
I have this thing with Oreos where I don’t really recognize them as cookies in and of themselves. While I’ve been known to devour a row or two straight out of the pack, I really think of them in the same way that I think of ingredients. Every time I get my hands on one of those blue packages and peel back that plastic cookie window, all I can think is: what can I make with these.
These Nutella Oreo Truffles, these Funfetti Oreo Bars, and these Cookie Dough Stuffed Oreos are just three examples of what I’m talking about. Oreos might be cookies, but for me they’re also an ingredient, and sometimes an ingredient in… other cookies.
Cookie inception, in line with my recurring theme of dessert redundancy, is what I have for you today with these Cookies & Cream Oreo Cookies.
The idea for these cookies started when Zach sent me a picture from a bakery in Florida (where he was watching the Orioles spring training) of rows of cookies beneath a glass dome. They were covered in chocolate and cookie crumbles. They looked like a mess.
They looked… amazing. It doesn’t take much to inspire me.
I got to work and within just a few tries I had cookies & cream cookies that were, sure, a little messy looking, but definitely blog-worthy.
Though I tried a few versions that included cream cheese in the cookie dough, I ultimately went without. Despite being a huge fan of cream cheese desserts, I felt it was too dominating over the cookies & cream cookie flavors that I was trying to achieve, so that went out the window (not literally, because I’ve learned that no matter how much I struggle I can’t so much as crack our kitchen window and always need Zach to open it for me).
I ultimately used my Funfetti Cookie recipe as the base for these cookies and cream cookies, and it came out perfectly. Not too sweet, but soft and studded with mini chocolate chips (biting into these pieces throughout the cookie reminded me of those Cookies & Cream candy bars you can buy — so good!).
Once your cookies have baked and cooled, go to town splattering and swirling chocolate and white chocolate over top, and then cover well with cookie crumbs. Make sure you act quickly and add the crumbs while the chocolate is still wet so that they stick!
It’s messy work, but somebody’s got to do it 😉
Cookies & Cream Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (226g)
- 1 2/3 cup white sugar (335g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour 375g
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Mini chocolate chips (45g)
- 15 Oreo cookies divided
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melting wafers melted according to package instructions (45g)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate melting wafers melted according to package instructions (45g)
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until well-creamed.Add sugar and beat on high speed until well-combined and light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Crush 10 of your Oreo cookies (break into small pieces, I do this by placing them in a large ziploc bag and hammering them with a rolling pin -- don't grind them completely to crumbs, though! You want to have cookie pieces in your cookies)
- Using a spatula (not your stand mixer) fold in the cookie pieces until combined (if you use your mixer it grinds the pieces too much and you end up with gray-ish cookies that don't have any cookie pieces/chunks in them).
- Cover bowl with clear wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Once dough has finished chilling, drop by heaping 1 1/2 Tbsp scoops onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake on 350F (177C) for 11-13 minutes (cookies will appear slightly underbaked still -- this is fine and they'll finish baking on the cookie sheet). Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.
- While cookies are cooling, crush the remaining 5 Oreo cookies into fine crumbs and set aside. Prepare your melting chocolate according to package instructions.
- Drizzle each cookie with both white and dark chocolate, and then immediately (while chocolate is still wet) sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Allow chocolate to harden before enjoying.
You Might Also Like: