A soft apple crumb cake topped off with a crisp cinnamon streusel and drizzled with a vanilla glaze. A great recipe to use up any surplus of apples you might have accumulated from apple picking!
Zach and I went apple picking not once, but twice this month. Each time we made our way out of the orchard precariously balancing a crate piled with no less than 15 lbs of apples each time (and when I say “we”, I really mean Zach, he did all the heavy lifting).
That’s… a lot of apples.
I already shared my apple butter recipe that uses nearly 6 lbs of apples alone, but I still had a mountain of apples on my counter that I didn’t want to go bad, and so the baking continued. I made some freezer friendly apple crisp, to be cooked at a later date, my favorite apple pie, and my apple crumb muffins, and then I still had enough apples to make this apple crumb cake over and over (and over) again until I was 100% happy with it.
After my pumpkin coffee cake recipe was such a hit with everyone who tried it, I’d been determined to try to make an apple version and decided a slight variation of that recipe would make a great base for this apple crumb cake.
The apples add a nice touch of moisture, but I included sour cream and melted butter for added moisture, as well. It makes the cake extremely soft.
The streusel is the same one that I used there, as well as on my favorite coffee cake recipe, it’s easy and is made with melted butter, which makes for the most flavorful and easy-to-mix-together streusel that you may have ever tried.
Apple Crumb Cake
- ¾ cup butter melted
- ½ cup sugar (100g)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar tightly packed (50g)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream (120g)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (156g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups diced, peeled apples (165g) (this was about 1 ½ apples for me)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125g)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar tightly packed (150g)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar (65g)
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and lightly grease and flour a 9" springform pan.
- Combine melted butter and sugars in a large bowl and stir until well-combined
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, stir well
- Stir in sour cream.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a spatula, gradually add dry ingredients and wet and stir until just combined-- do not over-mix!
- Fold in apple pieces and pour batter evenly into prepared pan. Set aside and prepare your streusel.
- Prepare the crumble by whisking together flour, sugars and cinnamon.
- Pour the melted butter into the mixture and, using a fork, stir until crumbles form. Evenly sprinkle streusel over batter.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake on 350F (175C) for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before adding vanilla glaze.
- If desired, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Start with 2 teaspoons of milk and add a third if it isn't thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle over cooled cake. Allow glaze to harden, slice, and enjoy!