No campfire required! These simple S’mores Cereal Bars are made with milk chocolate, mini marshmallows, and graham cracker cereal and can feed a crowd in a hurry: a whole batch can be whipped up in just 15 minutes!
We are SO close to having our new kitchen finished I can hardly stand it.
Soooo close! There are just a few small things to tidy up and we expect everything should be wrapped up by the end of this week. I am so excited to share it with you, and to finally start baking in the new house. Even though Zach and I have moved in to the new place, I’ve been driving back to the old house every day to do all of my baking (and videoing) there, and I’m pretty much over it.
Since it’s currently not possible to do any baking in the new place, I’ve been sticking to no-bake recipes when I have a craving for something sweet and don’t feel like driving back to the old house. Cereal-based no-bake desserts like my favorite Rice Krispie Treats, easy Puppy Chow, and today’s S’mores Cereal Bars.
These S’mores Cereal Bars have been a favorite of mine ever since I was a kid. Back then, I used to follow the recipe on the back of the Golden Grahams cereal box, but since then I’ve made a few improvements to make this recipe even more gooey, chocolate-y, marshmallow-y, and just all around the perfect summertime S’mores snack, no campfire required.
How to Make S’mores Cereal Bars
- Melt together (salted) butter, milk chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a large pot on the stovetop (I like to use a Dutch Oven). Make sure to keep the heat on low, or you run the risk of seizing your chocolate.
- Add one 10-oz bag of mini marshmallows and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and stir until the marshmallows are just melted. Keep your heat on low here, still! It might take a bit longer for the marshmallows to melt this way, but it will keep your S’mores bars from ending up rock hard.
- Stir in your graham cracker cereal and another half bag of mini marshmallows. Stir until the cereal is coated with chocolate (this second round of marshmallows does not need to melt, it’s nice to have discernible marshmallow pieces in the bars).
- Spread mixture evenly into a buttered casserole dish and, if desired, top with a few additional mini marshmallows. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
These S’mores cereal bars will cool pretty quickly at room temperature. However, my sisters and I have always really loved the way they taste cold, so if you cover them and pop them in the fridge they’ll firm up even faster!
Tips for Making S’mores Cereal Bars
These cereal bars are easy, but I do have a few tips that might be helpful for you:
- Keep your stovetop heat on low the entire time you are cooking. If you turn up the heat too high you run the risk of burning your mixture, seizing your chocolate, or otherwise compromising the ultimate outcome of the recipe.
- This recipe can be made in the microwave (if you follow me on Instagram you might’ve caught my story over 4th of July weekend where I did just that). I personally think making everything in a large pot on the stovetop is easiest, though.
- Adding mini marshmallows on top is a great way to pretty-up these otherwise very brown, humble looking cereal bars. Just reserve a few until the end, and make sure to scatter them over the s’mores cereal bars while the bars are still warm so they stick.
- S’mores Cereal Bars are best enjoyed within 48 hours of being made. Otherwise they tend to get a little stale.
More Recipes You Might Like:
Let’s bake together! Be sure to check out my video at the bottom of the recipe where I’ll show you exactly how I make these S’mores Cereal Bars in my own kitchen! If you enjoy watching, make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel where I’ve already uploaded over 150 recipe videos that you can watch for free!
S'mores Cereal Bars
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter plus additional for greasing pan
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (340g)
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup (80ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups graham cracker cereal (300g)
- 15 oz mini marshmallows This is 1 ½ 10 oz bags, you’ll need one full bag, then about 2 cups from the second bag (425g)
- Lightly grease the sides and bottoms of a 9x13 baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup over low heat. Stir frequently until chocolate and butter are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add 10 oz (280g) mini marshmallows and vanilla extract and stir frequently until marshmallows are melted (keep your stovetop heat low).
- Add graham cracker cereal and remaining 5 oz (140g) mini marshmallows¹ and stir until completely coated with chocolate mixture.
- Spread into prepared baking dish and smooth surface with a spatula. If you reserved any mini marshmallows, sprinkle them over the surface of the cereal bars now.
- Allow to cool then slice and serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered an estimate only. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more.
Can these be frozen and enjoyed past 48 hours after being made? I know marshmallows freeze pretty well, but I was wondering if you had any more insight on this question.
They should freeze just fine. 🙂
Oh my gosh! Those look like the best desert every! Looking at this makes me soooo hungry! Keep up the good work :)!
Thank you Amber! I hope you love them! 🙂
So good and easy to make, too! Will definitely make again!
Hi Sam, so happy for you! What will be your first recipe you make in your new culinary domain?
Thank you so much, Cathleen! That is a tough question. I think it’s going to have to be my worst chocolate chip cookies.