Snappy pretzels baked in butter and chocolate sugar and then drizzled with chocolate, these Candied Pretzels are an irresistibly easy snack that can be ready in under 30 minutes!
Your New Favorite Party Snack
Sweet, salty, crunchy, chocolatey….
Check, check, check and check. These Candied Pretzels tick all the boxes to qualify as one of the best snacks of your life.
Addictive, sweet & salty (I may have mentioned this, yes, but is there any better flavor combo? It’s worth repeating), and so, so easy. Candied Pretzels take all of 5 minutes to toss together. Then just 15 minutes of baking, which means that in well under 30 minutes you can be munching on your new favorite snack. Or walking out the door with your last-minute potluck contribution that no one needs to know was last minute.
Candied Pretzels: How-To
To make candied pretzels, we start by tossing a few (generous) handfuls of small & crunchy twisty pretzels in melted butter, flavored with a hint of vanilla. This is not only going to add great flavor to our finished product, it’s also going to help our cinnamon sugar coating cling to the pretzels, ensuring they all get a nice even coating. Toss your pretzels well here, and make sure they all get a thorough butter-bath!
For our coating, we’re using a simple blend of sugar and cocoa powder (for a chocolatey, cocoa-sugar flavor) as well as just a pinch of ground cinnamon. We’re also adding just a touch of flaky sea salt, because even though your pretzels will already be salted, the flavor will be a little subdued by the cocoa sugar and a little extra salt goes a long way for bringing out all the best flavor.
And, like I mentioned earlier, we’re going for sweet & salty here.
Don’t Forget the Chocolate!
While your candied pretzels are baking, that cinnamon/sugar/butter mixture is going to caramelize around each and every pretzel (sometimes settling in the spaces between the twists and making crunchy candied blobs — those are my favorite!). While this step alone is going to give you great tasting candied pretzels, it’s the chocolate that you add once the pretzels are out of the oven that really takes them to the next level.
A quick drizzle of dark chocolate adds a surprising amount of flavor. We’re only drizzling the dark chocolate, so we’re not quite venturing into chocolate-covered-pretzel-territory, but it’s enough to make these candied pretzels feel truly, well, candied.
You can use melted chocolate chips, a melted chocolate bar, or dark chocolate melting wafers (Ghirardelli are my current favorite for flavor and ease of use). The melting wafers are honestly my preference because the chocolate hardens quickly (within a matter of minutes) and isn’t as prone to re-melting in your hands as either chocolate chips or a chocolate bar would be. Whichever you choose, though, you really can’t go wrong!
I’ve made these candied pretzels well over a dozen times so far, and foresee this happening again and again this summer.
Be sure to check out my Candied Pretzel video at the bottom of the recipe! If you enjoy watching, make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel where I’ve already uploaded over 150 recipe videos that you can watch for free!
- 3 cups small twisted pretzels heaping (about 225g)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted (57g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate melting wafers ** (140g) or semisweet chocolate chips, but if you use chocolate chips it will take longer for the chocolate to re-harden and it is apt to melt in your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Add pretzels to the bowl and toss until all pretzels are coated with butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Reserve 2 Tablespoons of your sugar mixture and set aside. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the pretzels, using a spatula to turn the pretzels until all are coated with sugar mixture and the butter is absorbed.
- Pour contents of bowl onto prepared baking sheet and spread the pretzels in an even layer. Evenly sprinkle the reserved 2 Tbsp of sugar mixture over the pretzels.
- Bake on 350F (175C) for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300F (150C). Turn/flip pretzels with a spatula so that they do not burn, and return to oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven, stir pretzels once more and bake for another 5 minutes (still on 300F/150C).
- Remove pretzels fro oven and allow them to cool at least 15 minutes before drizzling with chocolate.
- Allow chocolate to harden then enjoy!
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
This recipe was originally published 10/05/2016. Photos and post updated and recipe updated for clarity 06/05/2019.