Soft and chewy Nutella Cookies loaded with Nutella and chock-full of chocolate chunk pieces. These are easy to make cookies (though they do require some chilling and therefore patience!) and their super soft and chewy texture almost melts in your mouth!
I know that Mondays are never really fun anyway, but starting this one off by shattering the screen of my iPhone into a hundred little pieces has really put a damper on the beginning of this workweek.
I reached for a Nutella Cookie to drown my sorrows with some chocolate/hazelnut (naturally), only to realize I’d just polished off the last of them last night, so that’s two strikes on my Monday morning. Here’s hoping that the day/week only gets better from here!
I think a fresh batch of Nutella Cookies are in order, and maybe you could use them for your Monday morning, too?
These Nutella cookies are slightly modified from my best peanut butter cookies. Like those cookies, these are also super soft and buttery and crafted so that the Nutella flavor is predominant.
Adding chocolate chips or chunks is optional, but I definitely recommend tossing a handful into the batter for some melty pops of chocolate in each bite. With this addition, these Nutella cookies remind me a lot of my double chocolate chip cookies, only with that distinct Nutella/hazelnut flavor (instead of just chocolate).
The biggest drawback for this recipe is that chilling is required, and for at least 3 hours. I tried chilling the cookies for less time but found that they simply spread too much, and especially now with the weather warming up they’re even more likely to spread all over your cookie sheet if not chilled appropriately.
You can prepare the dough the day before you plan to bake them if you prefer, just make sure to tightly wrap your bowl of dough with cling wrap before refrigerating so that it doesn’t dry out.
Alright, I’m off to go see about getting my phone screen replaced. After over 10 years of carrying a cell phone and never once so much as scratching the screen, I really thought I was immune to this kind of thing 😑
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (113g)
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar packed (125g)
- ¼ cup sugar (50g)
- ¾ cups Nutella (245g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour (187g)
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch cornflour in UK
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- Combine softened butter, sugars, and Nutella in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl, using electric mixer) and beat until ingredients are combined and well-creamed.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and stir until well-combined.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet until completely combined -- be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula to ensure that all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll into approximately 2-Tablespoon-sized balls. Roll dough into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet at least 2" apart.
- Bake on 375F (190C) for 10-13 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool completely on cookie sheet. Enjoy!