Soft, moist, chewy vanilla blondies with a delightful Nutella flavored cream cheese topping baked in. These Nutella swirl blondies are punctuated with white chocolate chips and offer a new twist on the classic blondie bar.
Today’s recipe is a blast from the past!
These Nutella Swirl Blondies are one of the first dessert recipes I ever shared on Sugar Spun Run, and I don’t mean from back in 2015 (which I consider to be when I really got serious about sharing recipes here) I mean from alllll the way back in 2012. Scroll down to the very bottom of the post to catch a glimpse of one of my first ever food photos… taken outside with my iPhone in the late evening sun 🙈.
But while the pictures have definitely improved, the recipe has pretty much stayed the same with no improvement necessary. It’s just as tasty and worth sharing now as it ever was (and doing a photo re-shoot gave me a great excuse to make them again… it had been a while!).
We start with a simple chewy blondie base, made with melted butter, brown sugar, and a handful of white chocolate chips. Thanks to the melted butter, the blondie base can be easily stirred together by hand, meaning there’s no mixer required for this recipe.
The blondie base is soft, chewy and slightly sweet, but the crowning feature is the Nutella swirl. Much like with my Nutella Muffins, the Nutella is mixed with cream cheese and an egg yolk for a richly flavored swirl.
Calling the Nutella layer a “swirl” is a little bit of an understatement. I do recommend using a knife to swirl it into your blondie layer, but this recipe makes so much Nutella topping that it could almost be its very own layer.
Printable recipe just below the video
Nutella Swirl BlondiesPrint Pin Rate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled (140g)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed (300g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips (plus additional for sprinkling on top, if desired) (130g)
- 6 oz cream cheese softened (170g)
- 3/4 cup Nutella (245g)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease and flour a 13x9 baking dish or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into sugar mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Spread blondie batter evenly over your prepared pan and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, stir together cream cheese, Nutella, granulated sugar and egg yolk until completely combined*.
- Drop the Nutella mixture by heaping spoonful over the blondie mixture. Using a knife, swirl the Nutella batter over the blondie batter until it is evenly distributed.
- Transfer to 350F oven (175C) and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with only a few crumbs.
- Allow blondies to cool completely in pan before slicing and serving.
Originally published September of 2012, post was updated 05/18/2015, and most recently updated 01/15/2018
Picture from 2012 update
Original Picture from 2012