These Pumpkin Muffins are my new favorite homemade muffin! They’re soft, fluffy, and loaded with Fall flavor (special thanks to our homemade pumpkin spice). Topped with a buttery streusel and a simple sugar glaze, these are slightly more suitable for breakfast than my pumpkin cupcakes, but every bit as tasty!
Recipe includes a brief how-to video, showing you step-by-step how I make these Pumpkin Muffins in my own kitchen.
The amount of pumpkin puree that I’ve gone through in the past few weeks is slightly obscene. Not quite as obscene as the amount of pumpkin muffins I’ve consumed over the past few days, but close.
I have a few more pumpkin recipes coming your way this beautiful Fall season, but these are my current favorite (or, at least, they’re tied with my banana muffins). With their buttery streusel top and their moist and flavorful pumpkin-y centers, these are the best pumpkin muffins I’ve ever tasted and are guaranteed to be a bright spot in anyone’s morning.
Pumpkin Muffin Streusel
The streusel for these pumpkin muffins is similar to the one that I use on my favorite coffee cake recipe.
It’s buttery and crisp against the super soft and moist pumpkin muffin interior and it takes these from delicious to irresistible. Don’t skip it!
While many other streusel recipes call for using cold butter and using a pastry cutter to work that in to your sugar and flour and other dry ingredients, I much prefer the technique that I use here. Instead, I like to use melted butter that I gently work into the dry ingredients with a fork. It’s not only easier, but I’ve found that it lends itself to a more buttery and more cohesive streusel, as well.
One thing to keep in mind for successful streusel is don’t over-work the ingredients.
The key to good streusel is a mixture that’s nice and clumpy, so don’t break up the clumps that form as you stir in your butter. If you over-work your streusel you’ll end up with a weird paste rather than the crumbly topping that we’re aiming for.
Other Pumpkin Recipes You May Enjoy
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins
My video for how to make Pumpkin Muffins is at the bottom of the recipe! If you enjoy watching my recipe videos, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel.
The Best Pumpkin Muffins
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled at least 10 minutes (170g)
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour 156g
- ½ cup granulated sugar 100g
- ¼ cup brown sugar 50g
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten (room temperature preferred)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree* 240g
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 156g
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar tightly packed 100g
- 1/3 cup sugar 66g
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter melted** 85g
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 65g
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners (or lightly grease and flour). Set aside.
- Combine your melted, cooled butter and sugars in a large bowl and stir well.
- Stir in eggs. Add pumpkin puree, milk, and vanilla extract and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon until well-combined.
- Add your dry ingredients into your wet and gently stir until just combined, taking care to not overmix the batter.
- Evenly divide muffin batter into prepared muffin tins (filling each ¾ full). Set aside while you prepare your streusel.
- Prepare your streusel by whisking together flour, sugars and cinnamon.
- Pour the melted butter into the mixture and, using a fork, stir until crumbles form.
- Using your hands, evenly divide streusel over muffin batter, piling the streusel over the batter and gently pressing the topping into the batter.
- Bake on 375F (190C) for 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow to cool before serving
- If desired, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over cooled pumpkin muffins