Soft, chewy, buttery, sprinkle-packed funfetti cookies made completely from scratch — no box cake mix required!
Typically, I like my cookies with lots of chocolate.
I may be swayed, however, if there are sprinkles involved.
This is probably not surprising to you if you’ve been following Sugar Spun Run for a while, considering I have approximately five million sprinkle/funfetti recipes in the recipe index (I should really give it its own category over there… I even have my own recipe for homemade sprinkles). Even my sister asked me the other day when I was going to get tired of making Funfetti desserts.
Never, I think (/hope).
I’ve just been on a cookie kick, recently. It’s all I seem to want to bake these days (so yes, you can expect quite a few more, albeit less colorful, cookies in the future) and all manners of chocolate and other cookie dough add-ins have been flying around my kitchen.
But over and over again, I gravitate to the sprinkles.
They’re simple and just a little sweet. The nonpareils add a whole new addictive dimension of texture to each bite. Perhaps most importantly, they’re colorful and just fun to make.
These funfetti cookies are made without a mixer — the melted butter makes it easy to mix everything by hand (and you don’t need to worry about creaming the butter and sugar, that way). Of course, there is a catch, and you will need to chill them for thirty minutes before popping them in the oven.
I promise you, it’s worth the wait.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, place your butter.
- Microwave for 15-second increments (stirring between) until butter is completely melted (if it's very hot, allow it to cool a few minutes, otherwise you'll melt your sugar)
- Stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until completely combined.
- Stir in sprinkles and nonpareils.
- Transfer bowl of dough to refrigerator and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Once dough has chilled, scoop (and roll, if you want round, pretty cookies -- not required) into 2 Tbsp-sized balls.
- Place at least 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake on 350F for 12 minutes (cookies will still seem slightly underdone -- this is fine and helps make them nice and chewy; they will continue to cook on the cookie sheet as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before enjoying.
You Might Also Like: