Soft, chewy, packed with chocolate chips and plenty of festive sprinkles, these Funfetti Christmas Cookies deserve a space in your holiday baking rotation.
We celebrated my 27th birthday over the weekend. Considering that I spent the past 6 months or so thinking that I was already 27 years old, it was nice to learn that I get another year before 28.
Zach made me this cake completely from scratch (which totally one-upped the mushroom topped cake that I’d made him for his birthday) and while I can’t tell you exactly what I wished for when I blew out the candles, it may or may not have involved a lot of sprinkles.
Almost as soon as I finished my slice of cake, I got to work on making year 28 of my life the year of soft & chewy cookies (because there’s no such thing as too much sugar in my life, it seems). I’d been trialing these cookies for the past few weeks, and finally perfected the recipe
You might think that with all of the cookie recipes I have on my site, developing a new one would be pretty straightforward, but it never seems to be quite that easy, especially when I have a very specific idea in mind of how I want each and every bite to taste.
These Funfetti Christmas Cookies were destined to be soft, chewy, and packed not only with chocolate chips, but also plenty of Christmas-y sprinkles. That’s exactly how they turned out.
I modeled these cookies after my Funfetti Cookies with only a few changes. Like my Funfetti Cookies, they used only white sugar, lots of butter, and a heavy pour of vanilla extract for a distinct cake batter/funfetti flavor. However I also added chocolate chips here, and made the cookies a bit puffier by adding extra flour and not melting the butter.
You really can’t go wrong with either recipe, but I think these will be my new go-to holiday cookie (and I love the extra texture/crunch from all of the sprinkles in every bite!).
Enjoy (and maybe take a moment to calculate how old you actually are, that way someone else doesn’t have to tell you right before your birthday. Just me? OK then.)
Funfetti Christmas Cookies
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until well-creamed.
- Add sugar and beat on high speed until well-combined and light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add ingredients and stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips and then sprinkles. Cover with clear wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Once dough has finished chilling, drop by heaping 1 1/2 Tbsp scoops onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake on 350F (177C) for 11-13 minutes (cookies will appear slightly underbaked still -- this is fine and they'll finish baking on the cookie sheet). Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.
Other Cookie Recipes to Try this Holiday Season