These chocolate chip snowball cookies are made with no eggs and just 6 ingredients! Simple, sweet, and utterly addictive, these buttery cookies melt in your mouth! Be sure to coat yours with a generous dusting of powdered sugar while they’re still warm for that classic “snowball” look.
Snowball cookies are my youngest sister’s favorite cookies. This recipe came from a cardboard-paged Tollhouse cookie cookbook that’s probably older than she is, and is her favorite to bake. My family has been making this recipe for so long that I don’t know how I haven’t shared it with you sooner!
While Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies are great every time of the year, they are a must-serve on the holiday cookie platter, right there beside peanut butter blossoms, Snickerdoodles, and chocolate chip cookies.
The original recipe calls for finely chopped nuts, which we have always omitted because they would overwhelm these otherwise super soft cookies. The texture is perfect as is, the cookie melts in your mouth alongside melty mini chocolate chips… pure heaven in snowball cookie form.
I receive a lot of requests for egg-free baked goods, and honestly just about all of my recipes use eggs. However, these chocolate chip snowball cookies are incidentally egg-free! Which makes eating the dough by the spoonful 100% acceptable (err, not really… see my edible cookie dough post for information on the alleged dangers of eating raw flour).
These cookies have a vanilla shortbread flavor and I’m not kidding about them melting in your mouth (in true snowball fashion). The outsides become just ever-so crisp in the oven and the insides are soft with mini melty chocolate chips.
Don’t remove them from the baking sheet until they’ve cooled because they’re delicate while still warm and can just fall apart in your hands.
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper*.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or you can use a large bowl and an electric mixer) and beat until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt, and beat again (start on low speed and then increase to high) until the mixture is creamy and well-combined.
- Gradually add all-purpose flour until ingredients are well incorporated (be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl!).
- Add mini chocolate chips and use a spatula or your mixer on low speed to stir them into your cookie dough (dough will be stiff).
- Scoop cookie dough by approximately 1 Tablespoon and roll between your hands to form a smooth ball. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and place cookie dough balls at least 1" apart.
- Bake on 375F (190C) for 10-12 minutes or until bottom edges are just beginning to turn light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle/sift powdered sugar overtop cookies while they are still warm.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!