Today’s OREO Mint Chocolate Brownies are sponsored by the OREO brand, thank you for supporting the brands that support Sugar Spun Run! All thoughts and opinions are, as always, 100% my own!
These Mint Chocolate Brownies are made with the new OREO Mint flavored Chocolate Candy Bars, made with delicious bits of OREO Cookie mixed in smooth, mint flavored creme filling and coated in European Milka chocolate candy! These OREO Mint flavored chocolate candy bars are tucked into a thick, fudgy brownie batter and covered with a silky chocolate ganache and more candy pieces. Grab your own OREO Chocolate Candy Bars today at WalMart!
So, those of you who have been following for a while already know that I kind of have a thing for brownies. I just counted and I literally already have eleven (yes, eleven) different versions of brownies on this website here. Now it’s twelve.
Some people collect stamps, or baseball cards, or coins. I, evidently, collect brownie recipes.
Each one is completely special, unique, and absolutely delicious (otherwise it wouldn’t be on this website, obviously). Today’s mint chocolate brownie recipe is particularly unique — this one is not only very chocolatey, it’s not only topped off with a silky chocolate ganache and OREO Mint flavored chocolate candy bar pieces, but it’s also layered with refreshing Oreo Mint flavored Chocolate Candy Bar pieces.
Have you tried these candy bars yet? If you haven’t, you’re going to want to get your hands on them ASAP. OREO Mint flavored chocolate candy bars are available at WalMart (my local store had them in the checkout aisles, they’re also available in a classic OREO Big Crunch bar variety if you can’t find mint!) and you’re going to need 10 of them (that’s 5 King Size packages) for today’s recipe.
Zach went crazy over these candy bars (he said they reminded him of his favorite mint chocolate cookie)… I made the mistake of letting him try one and before I knew it he’d eaten two more before I could even get the brownie batter started, so I recommend buying a few extra… or maybe finding a really good hiding spot.
I tried them in a 9×9 pan first, but ultimately I decided that they came out best with a layer of brownie on either side of the candy bar. All the more to sink your teeth into, but I definitely recommend cutting the brownies into the recommended 18 servings.
The OREO Mint flavored chocolate candy bars add not only a great flavor, but also a great texture to these brownies — they add a soft crunch beneath that fudge, which might be a little different from other mint chocolate brownies you’ve tried in the past. It’s a snappy sweet flavor explosion right in the middle of chocolate fudge, and the mint and chocolate flavors pair perfectly; the mint flavor is a bright and refreshing pairing to the fudginess and balances any heaviness.
Top everything off with a silky (simple!) chocolate ganache and then more chopped candy pieces and you’ll see how delicious these brownies really are.
Mint Chocolate Brownies
- ½ cup unsalted butter cut into 8 pieces (113g)
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chopped (227g)
- 1 Tablespoon natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar 200g
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour 83g
- 10 OREO Mint flavored Chocolate Candy Bars divided (you can also use the classic chocolate flavor if mint isn't available!)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 170g
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and prepare an 8x8 baking pan by lining with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Combine butter pieces and chopped chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, return to microwave and continue to heat at 15-second increments (stirring between) until chocolate and butter are completely melted.
- Add cocoa powder and sugar, stir well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Sprinkle salt over batter and stir to combine.
- Add flour, stirring until completely combined.
- Spread half of the brownie batter into prepared pan.
- Take your unwrapped OREO Mint Chocolate Candy Bars and press them firmly into the brownie batter spacing evenly to completely cover the batter (you’ll need to break several candy bars in half, you will use a total of 7 ½ candy bars -- see photo. Reserve remaining 2.5 candy bars for topping).
- Spread remaining brownie batter evenly over candy bars so that they are completely covered. Transfer pan to oven and bake on 350F (175C) for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs (or clean).
- Allow brownies to cool completely before covering Ganache.
- To prepare ganache, combine chocolate chips, heavy cream, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir frequently until chocolate and butter are completely melted and ingredients are well-combined.
- Allow ganache to cool for 10 minutes before pouring over brownies. While the ganache cools, chop up your remaining 2 ½ OREO Mint flavored Chocolate Candy Bars.
- Pour ganache over cooled brownies.
- Sprinkle chopped candy pieces over ganache. Allow ganache to set before cutting and serving (you can expedite this by placing brownies in the refrigerator).