Rich chocolate cookies stuffed with a creamy peanut butter surprise! These peanut butter stuffed chocolate cookies are my most recent favorite cookie, and I think you’re going to love them just as much as I do!
I can’t think of a better way to welcome a new week than with a cookie recipe. Not just any cookie recipe, but a big fat chocolate one with a peanut butter surprise.
This cold and dreary Monday, I’m coming at you with a peanut butter stuffed chocolate cookie, featuring not one but two different types of chocolate and a creamy, peanut-buttery filling. Forget sneaking Reese’s cups out of your kid’s plastic pumpkin tomorrow night, this is a peanut butter and chocolate combo that puts those orange-wrapped candies to shame.
I based the chocolate cookie portion off of my beloved double chocolate chip cookie recipe, with a few tweaks to make the dough stable enough to hold in a peanut butter filling.
You’ll need to chill the dough for a little bit to make it easy to handle and mold around the peanut butter filling, and this also keeps it from spreading too much int he oven and leaking out all of that peanut butter goodness.
A few notes I want to mention that are actually good practice for just about any cookie recipe:
- When baking your cookies, don’t place cookie dough on a cookie sheet that’s still warm from the oven, this can cause them to spread too much as the dough starts cooking/melting prematurely.
- Prepare all of your cookie dough balls and in between batches keep the dough chilling in the refrigerator while the other batches cook. The colder the dough is, the less it will spread in while baking.
The peanut butter filling reminds me of a seriously creamy fudge, or maybe even of my buckeye recipe. It’s only three ingredients; you’ll mix everything together, drop the filling by 2-teaspoon-sized scoops, and then chill in the freezer while you prepare your chocolate cookie dough. It might seem like a small amount of filling while you’re scooping it, but you’ll find that you need a lot of cookie dough to cover it.
This recipe makes a lot of dough, but only makes 18 cookies. They are big, thick, better-than-bakery-style cookies, though, and incredibly decadent.
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (256g)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (62g)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (226g)
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar (250g)
- ½ cup sugar (100g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ cup flour (292g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (50g)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips optional
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips for tops of cookies, optional
Peanut Butter Filling
- Prepare your peanut butter filling first by combining peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and stirring until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Drop peanut butter mixture by 2 teaspoon-sized scoops onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Place in freezer to chill while you prepare your cookie dough.
Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Combine softened butter and sugars in large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat together until well-combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, stirring well until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Once dough is nearly done chilling, preheat oven to 375F (190C) and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator and peanut butter filling from the freezer.
- Use a 1 ½ Tbsp-sized cookie scoop and scoop a heaping portion of cookie dough.
- Make a crater in the center of the dough with your thumb and gently press a frozen dollop of peanut butter filling in the center.
- Take another scoop of cookie dough and cover the peanut butter filling. Roll the dough around the filling until you have a smooth ball of cookie dough with no peanut butter showing.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake on 375F (190C) for 13 minutes.
- Once cookies have baked, remove from the oven and within 3 minutes of removing from the oven, gently press additional chocolate chips onto the top.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered an estimate only. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more.