Few party foods are as classic and well-loved as a bubbling-hot dish of Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Today’s recipe is a potluck/party staple! It transcends all other dips (OK, maybe it’s tied for first place with my beloved Taco Dip) and is practically guaranteed to be the dish your guests finish off first. As a bonus, it’s so easy to make! Just 5 ingredients & 5 minutes to prep!
Is there anything tastier than the cheesy, melty goodness of Buffalo Chicken Dip? This recipe inspired my Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese that I shared late last year, but I never shared the original dip.
That’s changing today.
I found this recipe yeeeearssssss ago attached to a can of chunk chicken (am I just being a food blogging snob or does canned meat kind of just not seem OK to you, too?). Along the way I made a few changes (one of the first of which was replacing said canned chicken) and today we have my favorite version of Buffalo Chicken Dip. Humble beginnings for sure, but now look at us.
Rich, creamy, and packed with melty mozzarella and cream cheese, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and freshly shredded chicken. This recipe’s a keeper.
How Do You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- You’ll need to start with 2 cups of shredded chicken. I recommend either picking a rotisserie chicken or making my slow cooker shredded chicken.
- Combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch, buffalo sauce, and mozzarella cheese
- Transfer everything to a lightly buttered baking dish, top with more mozzarella cheese, and then bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted
- Dig in! My favorite dip utensils include corn chips, crackers, or toasted baguette slices.
How Long Does Buffalo Chicken Dip Last in the Fridge?
Buffalo Chicken Dip will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an airtight container!
How Long Can Buffalo Chicken Dip Sit Out?
Buffalo Chicken Dip should not sit out at room temperature for longer than two hours. If you can keep it warm (like in a slow cooker on “warm” setting) then it will last for longer.
How Do You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip with Canned Chicken?
While I recommend using freshly shredded chicken, you can use canned chicken in this buffalo chicken dip. You can substitute one 10 oz can of well-drained chunk chicken instead of the shredded chicken that the recipe calls for (I still recommend shredding the chicken from the can). I personally much prefer fresh chicken, but since this recipe originated from a can of chicken I thought it would only be fair to include this tip!
Want More Easy Party Foods?
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (226g)
- ½ cup ranch dressing 115ml
- ½ cup buffalo sauce 115ml
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided (170g, divided)
- 2 cups shredded chicken* 275g
- Thinly sliced green onions for topping optional
- Corn chips, crackers, toasted bread slices, etc. for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and lightly butter an 8x8 baking dish.
- Combine cream cheese, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (115g) in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken and stir well.
- Transfer ingredients to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (55g)
- Bake in 350F (175C) oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with green onions, if desired.