Few party foods are as classic and well-loved as a bubbling-hot dish of Buffalo Chicken Dip! Today’s recipe is a potluck/party staple! It transcends all other dips (OK, it’s tied for first place with my beloved Taco Dip) and it’s so easy to make! Just 5 ingredients & 5 minutes to prep!
Is there anything tastier than the cheesy, melty goodness of Buffalo Chicken Dip? This recipe inspired my Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese that I shared late last year, but I never shared the original dip recipe.
That’s changing today.
Rich, creamy, and packed with melty shredded cheese and cream cheese, ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and freshly shredded chicken. This recipe’s a keeper and ranks right up there on the indulgence scale with my beloved spinach artichoke dip and famous fried pickles!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Tip: Shred your chicken well! I actually had Zach help me set up for the video that we filmed and he did. not. shred it nearly as much as he should have (and yes he heard about it from me!). You want it well-shredded, without discernible pieces!
- Combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, ranch, buffalo sauce, and cheddar cheese
- Transfer everything to a lightly buttered baking dish, top with more cheese, and then bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted
- Dig in! My favorite dip utensils include corn chips, crackers, or toasted baguette slices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! you can reduce the cheese in the recipe to ½ cup (113 grams) or omit it entirely and add ½ cup blue cheese crumbles. I still like to top mine with the ⅓ cup (55g) of cheddar, but that’s a personal preference.
You can substitute one 10 oz can of well-drained chunk chicken instead of the shredded chicken that the recipe calls for (I still recommend shredding the chicken from the can). I personally much prefer fresh chicken, but since this recipe originated from a can of chicken I thought it would only be fair to include this tip!
This dip will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an airtight container!
Buffalo Chicken Dip should not sit out at room temperature for longer than two hours. If you can keep it warm (like in a slow cooker on “warm” setting) then it will last for longer.
More Easy Party Foods:
Let’s bake together! Make sure to check out the how-to VIDEO in the recipe card!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (226g)
- ½ cup ranch dressing (115ml)
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce (115ml)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ⅓ cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese divided (170g, divided) it's best to buy a block of cheddar cheese and shred it yourself. I used a blend of white and yellow sharp cheddar.
- 2 cups well-shredded chicken* (275g)
- 2 Thinly sliced green onions for topping optional
- Corn chips, crackers, toasted bread slices, etc. for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 375F (190C) and lightly butter an 8×8 baking dish.
- Mix cream cheese (with an electric mixer or spatula) in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add ranch dressing, buffalo sauce, and paprika and garlic powder and stir well.
- Add chicken and cheese and green onion and stir well.
- Transfer ingredients to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup (55g) of cheese.
- Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 15-20 minutes or bubbly.
- Serve warm, topped with additional green onions, if desired.
Chicken*I like to use either meat picked from a rotisserie chicken or I’ll cook some chicken in my slow cooker the night before. You’ll need about an 8-10 oz piece of chicken for 2 cups of shredded chicken.
Making in Advance/ServingThis dip can be made several days in advance, just store it in the fridge and heat it in the oven until bubbly before serving. After heating, it can be stored for up to 5 days (covered and in the refrigerator). When serving, don’t leave at room temperature for more than two hours.
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
Recipe originally published 10/27/2018.