I know… that title is a mouthful.
It could have been worse, though, my first draft was: Amazingly Rich, Creamy, White-Chocolate Cheesecake with a Fresh Strawberry Swirl Topping on a Chocolate Chip Studded Fudgy Brownie Bottom.
Way too much.
So, I shortened the title to the best of my abilities while trying not to cut out the basic descriptions of the amazing flavors contained in this multi-level treat.
The base is a (very simple, one-bowl, no mixer required) brownie layer that is indeed very fudgy and studded with mini chocolate chips, (as the original title suggested). Strawberries and chocolate together… pretty much a no-brainer. It was the white chocolate that was the interloper here.
I didn’t originally intend for this recipe to be such a bricolage of flavors, but I’m glad this happened. When I made my first attempt, it was just going to be strawberry cheesecake on a brownie bottom, but something was missing.
White chocolate was just the right touch to add a little extra pizzaz to this recipe, it lends a creamier texture, a degree of density, and a new depth of flavor to the cheesecake.
This dessert is the epitome of flavor complexity and you owe it to yourself and your palate to give it a try.
If you’re looking for a Mother’s Day dessert (it’s coming up soon, as I’m sure you remember!), this is perfect for the occasion.
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 16 oz cream cheese softened, 2 packages
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 5-10 cup strawberries tops removed (1/2puree) plus additional sliced strawberries for garnish
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease 9x9 baking dish
- In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla and cocoa.
- Stir in eggs.
- Add flour and salt, stirring until all ingredients are combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared 9x9 pan and bake on 350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until cheesecake layer is ready. Reduce oven temperature to 325F
- While brownie layer is cooking, beat cream cheese in stand mixer until smooth.
- In microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate at 15 second increments, stirring between and repeating until just melted.*
- Pour melted white chocolate into cream cheese and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add sugar and vanilla and stir.
- Add sour cream and combine.
- Add egg and beat until all ingredients are combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Pour over brownie layer.
- In food processor, puree strawberries until you h ave 1/2 cup pureed strawberries. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp milk and combine.
- Pour strawberry mix over cheesecake layer and swirl, using a knife (be careful not to insert the knife too deep or it will pull up the brownie layer and leave brownie crumbs through your cheesecake).
- Bake on 325F for 45 minutes (center should be almost set)
- Allow to cool on stovetop for one hour before transferring to refrigerate. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving. Top with additional sliced strawberries, if desired.