A hearty recipe for White Chicken Chili! This recipe is great for using up leftover chicken (or you can follow my quick & easy steps for shredding your own chicken breast) and is a filling comfort food with a creamy base!
After a 75 degree day Wednesday (not at all a typical February day for southern PA) , I thought I might have missed my opportunity for sharing hearty, warming soups and chilis like this white chicken chili with you!
I thought (/had kind of hoped — I much prefer warm weather…) the groundhog had gotten it wrong and spring was here, but we’re back down in the 30s today, and so chili weather is officially still on.
I have a nice, quick and easy recipe for white chicken chili for you today, so let’s dig right in.
Tips for Perfect White Chicken Chili:
- I always prefer my soups and hearty chilis to have a creamier base. For this white chicken chili you’ll puree together part of your white beans with a bit of chicken broth and then stir it back into the mix. This technique is similar to the pureeing that I do in both my corn chowder and my potato soup, but rather than pureeing a large portion of the finished soup we’ll just be pureeing two of our base ingredients.
- This recipe is great for using up leftover chicken or you can pick over a rotisserie chicken or you can use my super simple Crock Pot shredded chicken (👈🏻recommended 👌🏼).
- I do not used a reduced sodium broth for this recipe. If you choose to do so, I recommend taste testing as you go to make sure your white chicken chili has enough flavor.
- This White Chicken Chili tastes great on its own, but I like it even better when topped with crushed corn chips, shredded cheese, jalapeno slices, cilantro, and a heaping dollop of sour cream. Add-ons are everything!
Alright, that’s it for today, just a super easy, super comforting white chicken chili recipe that is perfect for this rainy weekend.
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
How to Make White Chicken Chili:
White Chicken Chili
- 1 1/2 lbs shredded chicken (you can use rotisserie chicken or shred your own chicken breast in the crock pot)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 2 Jalapeno peppers seeds removed and finely chopped (about 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 medium yellow onion (about 1 heaping cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 15 oz cans Cannelini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 7 oz can diced green chilis (I use mild)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- additional sour cream, corn chips, Monterrey Jack cheese, chopped cilantro, and/or jalapeno slices for topping, optional
- Place half a can of cannelini beans (about 3/4 cup) and 1/2 cup of chicken broth in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine olive oil and butter in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add chopped onion and jalapeno and cook until softened (about 3-5 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add shredded chicken, remaining chicken broth, remaining beans, diced green chilis, lime juice, cumin, onion powder, ancho chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Simmer 15 minutes before serving, topped with additional sour cream, jalapeno slices, monterrey jack cheese, chopped cilantro, and crushed corn chips.