A creamy cajun chicken with penne pasta that’s simple but packed with flavor! This is a flavorful, crowd-pleasing dinner option that can be on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Add this to your dinner rotation and let me know what you think! We love serving ours with a side of buttermilk cornbread!
Just in case anyone is preparing their grocery list for this week’s dinner menu, I thought I’d stop in really quickly today to share one of my recent favorite flavorful, easy dinner recipes: Cajun Chicken with Penne Pasta.
Packed with fresh veggies, a creamy cajun sauce, and perfectly seasoned chicken over a bed of penne pasta, this dinner has been a hit in our house since I first started making it a few months ago.
Since I’m usually baking and recipe testing all day, every day, I often tend to get a little lazy about making dinner. While I’ll sometimes experiment with new dinner options, I have a few staples and Zach and I eat them almost every week for dinner.
While I recommend penne pasta, you can substitute your personal preference when making this recipe. Make sure that you stick to just 8 oz (usually half a package) of your favorite shape. Linguine is always a popular choice with cajun chicken, but I like the way the penne noodles do a great job of holding a good bit of creamy cajun sauce in each bite.
Whole wheat or whole grain pastas are also great options for a little added nutritional value!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz penne pasta* cooked according to package instructions and drained (227g)
- 3 Tablespoons butter divided
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1" pieces (680g)
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning divided
- ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper divided
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (355ml)
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Place 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium-high heat until melted.
- Meanwhile, combine 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a Ziploc bag. Add chopped chicken, zip closed, and shake until chicken is coated.
- Transfer chicken to heated pan and cook until chicken is browned and just cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining Tablespoon of butter to pan and allow it to melt.
- Add peppers and onion and cook until beginning to soften (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add heavy cream, smoked paprika, basil, garlic powder, and remaining cajun seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking until sauce is thickened.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Return cooked chicken and add cooked pasta, stir well and serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered an estimate only. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more.