This one’s a super simple classic that everyone should know how to make: Roasted Sweet Potatoes! This recipe keeps the ingredients to a minimum in order to let the flavor of your sweet potatoes really shine, but I’ve included a few tips for spicing things up if you want some variety!
These are a perfect side dish to your holiday dinner, just don’t binge on them like I usually do and make sure to save some room for a slice of Pecan Pie!
Roasted sweet potatoes may not be particularly glamorous and they’re certainly not the most exciting recipe I’ve ever shared, but they’re a holiday staple that everyone should know how to make.
Let’s get started!
How Do I Roast Sweet Potatoes in The Oven?
- Wash your sweet potatoes and cut into 1″ pieces
- Toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper
- Spread in an even layer onto an ungreased baking sheet
- Bake on 425F (235C) for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
How Do You Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes Crispy?
Don’t use parchment paper to line your baking sheet if you are angling for especially crispy sweet potatoes. Instead, I recommend roasting them directly on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Another trick to make roasted sweet potatoes crispy is to turn up the heat of your oven to 450F (235C) rather than the 425F (220C) that my recipe calls for. Make sure your potatoes are in an even layer (not stacked/piled on top of each other) and roast for 20-30 minutes (flipping halfway through roasting) or until the outsides are crisp and the interiors are tender when pierced with a fork.
Do You Have to Peel Sweet Potatoes Before Roasting Them?
You do not have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting them. However, if you’d prefer to do so you certainly can! The skin of the sweet potato is thicker and tougher than the rest of your sweet potato, so if that’s undesirable to you feel free to remove the skin.
Personally I never peel my sweet potatoes. I scrub them very well before slicing and cut off any blemishes but otherwise leave the skins intact.
Flavor Variations for Roasting Sweet Potatoes
All you really need to roast sweet potatoes is olive oil, salt, and pepper. However, if you’d like to spice things up a bit you can play around with adding a few more spices, as well.
Here are a few variations I’ve tried and enjoyed to help get you started (keep in mind that the oil, salt, and pepper are staples and you’ll always use these).
- ½ tsp of garlic powder + ½ tsp of chili powder
- 1 Tbsp of brown sugar + ½ tsp chili powder + ½ tsp garlic powder + ½ tsp smoked paprika + a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic + 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Substitute the oil for melted butter + 2 Tbsp brown sugar + ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes* chopped into 1" pieces (1.4kg)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C)**
- Toss sweet potato pieces, olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl and spread evenly over an ungreased baking sheet (make sure all sweet potato pieces are coated in oil and drizzle any remaining oil from the bowl over the potatoes in the pan).
- Once oven is preheated, transfer baking sheet to the oven and roast potatoes for 25-35 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork (if your potato pieces are smaller they may take less time and if they are larger they may take longer). Use a spatula to turn the potatoes halfway through baking.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered an estimate only. Actual nutritional content will vary based upon brands used, measuring methods, cooking method, portion sizes, and more.