Easy no-bake energy bites! These simple treats are made with simple, wholesome ingredients. Minimal prep work is required, making these simple and relatively healthy snacks!
Today’s recipe reminds me a bit of my favorite homemade granola bars. However, unlike that one there’s no stovetop/cooking required. It really doesn’t get much easier than this! The recipe also includes a quick how-to video!
No-Bake Energy Bites
Happy 2019! I’m truly so excited about all the new recipes I have planned to share with you this year.
Did you make any resolutions? As unlikely as it might sound, one of mine is to cut down on the amount of sugar that I eat. I will still be eating everything I bake, just hopefully less of it. Just one small slice of chocolate cake instead of two a day. One cookie instead of one dozen. And even though these energy bites are on the healthier side of my blog, maybe just 2 of them instead of the whole tray.
Wish me luck, I’ll definitely need it.
While my recipes are going to stay pretty much as sweet as ever, I thought it might be a good idea to start off 2019 with something just a shade healthier. These easy energy bites are simple to make and made with wholesome ingredients.
How to Make No Bake Energy Bites
- Assemble your ingredients. You’ll need oats, shredded coconut, peanut butter, honey, mini chocolate chips, flax seed, vanilla extract, and salt. Nothing sinister-sounding here!
- Stir everything together until well-combined
- Form dough into 2-teaspoon-sized balls and place on a tray. Chill 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with melted dark chocolate
- Chill one hour, then serve!
Tips for Modifying Energy Bites
If you don’t have mini chocolate chips, regular sized ones will work instead. Or, you can use a dark chocolate bar that you’ve chopped into small pieces. Your favorite chopped nuts or chopped fruit would also work as a substitute.
I like to use peanut butter for my energy bites but any nut butter will work. This is one of my few peanut butter recipes where you can get away with using a natural peanut butter (make sure you stir it well first), though regular will also work.
I like to stir in some ground flax seed into my energy bites for some added nutritional value. This is optional and you can skip this step if you prefer.
Alright, I hope you enjoy today’s Energy Bites recipe! And don’t worry, despite cutting down on the sheer amount of desserts I eat, all my recipes are going to stay much the same as they always have: sweet, simple, and from-scratch.
However I do have some plans for some slightly more complex recipes. More yeast recipes, a macaron recipe, and a few more savory recipes are headed your way in 2019. If you have any requests, feel free to send them my way!
Treat yourself to a FREE E-BOOK!
No-Bake Energy Bites
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats 125g
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut 30g
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter 120g
- 1/4 cup honey 60ml
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips optional
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz dark chocolate bar optional
- Combine old fashioned oats, shredded coconut, peanut butter, honey, chocolate chips, flax seed (if using), vanilla extract, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir well until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Scoop cookie dough by about 2-teaspoon-sized scoops (I like to use a small cookie dough scoop). Roll the mixture between your palms to form a smooth ball.
- Repeat until all mixture has been rolled into balls. Transfer to a wax paper lined baking sheet (or other moveable flat surface).
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- While energy bites are chilling, melt your dark chocolate by breaking into small pieces, placing in a small microwave-safe bowl, and heating for 15-second increments and stirring well in-between until chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove energy bites from the freezer and use a spoon to drizzle melted dark chocolate over all energy bites. Alternatively you can dip the bottoms of the bites in the chocolate (like you're making Buckeyes).
- Place energy bites to the refrigerator and chill one hour before serving and enjoying.
- Store energy bites in the refrigerator in an airtight container.