Coffee Cake Muffins
Fluffy coffee cake muffins topped off with a mountain of buttery, crumbly streusel!These breakfast treats are simple to make and the mile high pile of streusel is absolutely addictive, good luck eating just one!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- ¼ cup melted butter (57g)
- ¼ cup canola oil may substitute vegetable oil (60ml)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150g)
- ¼ cup brown sugar tightly packed (50g)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white room temperature preferred
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature preferred (120ml)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (220g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons corn starch (cornflour in UK)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (156g)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar tightly packed (100g)
- 1/3 cup sugar (66g)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted (85g)
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a 12-count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
Combine your melted butter and canola oil in a large bowl. Stir well.
Add sugar and stir to combine.
Add egg, egg white, and vanilla extract. Stir very well, until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add buttermilk and stir.
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, corn starch, cinnamon and salt.
Using a spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, taking care not to over-mix the batter (which will make your muffins dense and tougher).
Evenly divide the batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way full. Set aside and prepare your streusel topping.
Prepare your streusel by whisking together flour, sugars and cinnamon.
Pour the melted butter into the mixture and, using a fork, stir until crumbles form.
Using your hands, evenly divide streusel over muffin batter, piling the streusel over the batter and gently pressing the topping into the batter.
Bake on 375F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Allow to cool before serving.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 375kcal