These perfectly spiced molasses cookies are soft, chewy, and rolled in sparkling sugar. They're a great and easy cookie for your holiday cookie tray!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chilling Time 3 hours
Total Time 2 hours
Servings 2 dozen cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (170g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed, can substitute light brown sugar (100g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses it should say unsulphered on the label, I used "Grandma's" brand) (60ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (280g)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
Combine butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer (or you may use a large bowl and an electric hand mixer).
Add egg, stir until combined.
Add molasses and vanilla extract, stir well until ingredients are combined.
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until completely combined.
Cover dough with clear wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Roll dough into heaping Tablespoon-sized balls and roll in sugar to coat completely.
Place at least 2" apart on prepared cookie sheet and bake on 375F (190C) for 10-11 minutes.
The cookies should look baked but have slightly under-done centers. Let them cool completely on the baking sheet to finish cooking -- this will make them very soft.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 170kcal