Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
How to make a hearty, homemade Marinara Sauce from scratch! Today’s recipe is easy with just a handful of ingredients, but plenty of robust fresh flavor!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 3 cups
- 2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion 145g
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic this was about 5 large cloves for me
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes no spices or salt added (680g)
- 2 Tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoons finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium/high heat until shimmering.
Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent (about 3 minutes)
Add garlic, cook (stirring frequently) until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add crushed tomatoes, basil, sugar, dried oregano, sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir well and reduce heat to medium low.
Simmer marinara sauce for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use as desired.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 489mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 9.9mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1.8mg