• 1 cup light corn syrup (235ml)
• 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
• ¼ cup butter (cut into 4 pieces) (57g)
• 1 ½ cup creamy peanut butter (375g)
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon table salt
• 6 cups crisped rice cereal (175g)
• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (170g)
• 1 ⅓ cup butterscotch chocolate chips (divided) (226g)
• 1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil or vegetable shortening optional
Line a 13×9 pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease with butter. Set aside.
In a large pot, combine corn syrup, sugar, and butter over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted and ingredients are
Increase heat to medium-high and stir frequently. Once mixture just begins to boil
(as soon as it starts bubbling) remove from heat.
Stir in peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt until mixture
Stir in cereal — make sure ingredients are well-combined.
Spread ingredients evenly into prepared pan.
In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, combine semisweet chocolate chips, 1 cup (170g) butterscotch chips, and 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening, if using.
Microwave for 30 seconds, stir well, and return to microwave at 15-second increments, stirring well in between until mixture is completely melted and smooth.
Immediately melt remaining ¼ cup (56g) butterscotch chips and ½ teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening (heat in 15 second increments, stirring between).
Spread melted chocolate/butterscotch evenly over prepared scotcharoos.
Drizzle melted butterscotch chips over the chocolate and then drag a toothpick through the chocolate to create swirls.
Allow chocolate to set
(about an hour at room temperature) before cutting and serving. Enjoy!