• 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar (333g)
• 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (188g)
• ⅔ cup natural cocoa powder (65g)
• 1 Tablespoon cornstarch see note 2
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon table salt
• ½ cup canola or vegetable oil (118ml)
• 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk room temp.
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• ⅔ cup whole milk room temp. (157ml)
• 1 cup hot coffee (236ml)
• 1 batch chocolate buttercream
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add canola oil, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir until batter is combined (it will be a bit dry and crumbly but all of the flour mixture should be moistened before proceeding).
Drizzle in milk while stirring and stir until batter is uniform and completely combined.
Gradually add hot coffee or hot water (take care not to burn yourself!) and stir until liquid is completely incorporated into the batter and you have a smooth chocolate batter.
Arrange rack to center of oven and preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line two 12-count muffin tins with paper liners.
Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin tin, filling liners between ½ and not more than ⅔ of the way full, this is typically about 3 Tablespoons of batter or less per cupcake liner.
Transfer one pan of cupcakes to 350F (175C) preheated oven and bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs (or clean).
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in baking pan before carefully removing to cooling rack to cool completely before frosting. Repeat with second pan of cupcakes.
Once cupcakes have cooled, frost with my
or your favorite frosting recipe.
Top with sprinkles and enjoy!