Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
How to make a hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe! This recipe comes together easily in under 45 minutes. Simple and absolutely loaded with flavor! I'll also show you how to make your own crispy tortilla strips in a matter of minutes. Be sure to check out the how-to VIDEO at the bottom of the recipe!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 5 strips (uncooked) bacon cut into small pieces¹
- 1 cup chopped onion about one medium onion (115g)
- 1 cup diced red pepper about one red pepper (115g)
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic about 4-5 cloves for me
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock (830ml)
- 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained (396g)
- 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained (396g)
- 10 oz mild enchilada sauce (283g)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 7 oz can diced green chilis (200g)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder I like use ½ Tbsp ancho chili powder and ½ Tbsp regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded chicken I use shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 oz cream cheese² cut into cubes (113g)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Optional toppings: Avocado cotija cheese, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
- 10 corn tortillas
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 415F/215C (this is to cook your tortillas, you want the oven preheating and it can take some time for it to reach this temperature so preheat it now).
Place bacon pieces in a large heavy bottomed pot (I like to use my Dutch Oven) and cook over medium heat until browned, crisp, and cooked through. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Add onion, pepper, and jalapeno to pan and cook until translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
Add chicken stock, tomatoes, beans, enchilada sauce, corn, chilis, chili powder, sugar, cumin, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, and chicken. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile prepare your tortillas.
Cut tortillas into strips that are ¼” thick by 2” long. Scatter evenly over parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil (about 1 Tbsp), sprinkle with kosher salt and use a spatula to evenly coat with olive oil.
Transfer to 415F (215C) and cook until crisp, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
Meanwhile, once soup has finished simmering, add cream cheese and lime juice and stir well until cream cheese is melted.
Serve topped with your crisp tortilla strips and other toppings, as desired.
¹If you don’t care to use bacon, you can substitute 2 Tablespoons of butter (or even olive oil, but each substitution will result in less flavor) instead. Melt over medium/high heat then proceed with recipe as written.
²If you don't like a creamier soup you can actually leave out the cream cheese.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1476mg | Potassium: 561mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Vitamin C: 88.3mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 4mg