How to make the ULTIMATE Taco Salad! This salad is loaded with all of your favorite taco ingredients as well as a simple, three-ingredient taco salad dressing. This recipe is great for customizing with your favorite taco add-ins!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 lb ground beef (455g)
- 2/3 cup water (155ml)
- 1 packet (or 3 Tablespoons) taco seasoning* (35g)
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce 285g
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved (185g)
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion (45g)
- 1 ½ cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese (170g)
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped (13g)
- Jalapeno slices optional, use more or less depending on how hot you like your taco salad to be. I only used half of a sliced jalapeno for this recipe.
- broken corn chips optional**
Taco Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream (120g)
- 1/2 cup medium salsa (135g)
- 1 1 /2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef.
Cook until browned and drain.
Add water and taco seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
Remove from heat and allow ground beef to cool for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of your taco salad.
Combine chopped romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, diced red onion, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and jalapenos (if using) in a large bowl.
Add (cooled) ground beef and toss ingredients together until well-combined. Prepare your Taco Salad Dressing.
Taco Salad Dressing
Combine sour cream, salsa, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning in a bowl and whisk until well-combined.
Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss until well-combined.
Serve. If not serving immediately, cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Feel free to add your favorite add-ins to this taco salad recipe! We've added 1/2 cup of frozen sweet corn, half a can of (drained, rinsed) black beans, and olives to suit our flavor preferences!
*Please note that this recipe calls for taco seasoning for both cooking the ground beef and for making the dressing, so if you are using packets of taco seasoning you will need two packets
**Do not add the broken corn chips to the bowl of taco salad, just add it as a topping to individual servings. The corn chips will get soggy if left in with the other ingredients
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 290kcal