• 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar (333g)
• 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (188g)
• ⅔ cup dark cocoa powder (65g)
• 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ cup canola or vegetable oil (118ml)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
• ⅔ cup whole milk (157ml)
• 1 cup hot coffee (236ml) (see note)
• 1 batch caramel frosting
• Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add canola oil, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir until well-combined.
Stir in milk until thoroughly-combined.
Then carefully stir in hot coffee.
Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and then stir again to ensure you have a uniform, well-combined batter.
Divide better into mini muffin tin, filling liners ½-⅔ of the way full.
Bake on 350F (175C) for 14-15 minutes or cupcake tops spring back lightly when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes then carefully remove to a cooling rack (I gently pry them up with a butter knife) to cool completely before covering with caramel frosting.
Decorate with caramel frosting then sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Enjoy!