• 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled at least 5 minutes (57g)
• ¼ cup canola oil (60ml)
• 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
• 1 large egg + 1 egg white (room temp)
• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• ½ cup buttermilk (room temp)
• 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour (220g)
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons corn starch
• ½ teaspoon table salt
• 1 cup chocolate chips (175g)
• ⅓ cup additional granulated sugar, coarse sugar preferred for topping (67g)
Combine butter and oil in a large bowl and whisk together.
Stir in sugar and mix until
Add egg, egg white, and vanilla extract. Whisk together thoroughly, until all ingredients are well-combined.
Then, stir in buttermilk
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, corn starch, and salt.
Fold dry ingredients into wet gently.
Once half of the dry ingredients have been added, fold in chocolate chips. Then add remaining dry continuing to fold until combined.
Cover bowl with a dry towel and allow batter to sit while your oven preheats. Preheat oven to 425F (215C) and line a 6-count jumbo muffin tin with paper liners.
Once your oven has preheated, portion batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each tin all the way to the top with batter (without overflowing).
Sprinkle tops with sugar then bake on 425F (218C) for 8 minutes. Then,
without opening the oven door
, reduce the oven temperature to 350F (175C) and bake another 15 minutes.
Remove muffins from the oven once they begin to turn golden brown. Cool & Enjoy!