Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins: Incredibly moist, flavorful muffins made with plenty of fresh zucchini and a generous helping of chocolate chips.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 14 muffins
- 1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup milk (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar tightly packed (100g)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (280g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup grated zucchini patted dry with paper towel (175g)
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (255g)
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling (regular granulated sugar will also work)
Preheat oven to 425F (220C) and line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine oil, milk, and sugars, whisking well until well-combined and ingredients are not separated (oil and milk should not be separating and sugar should be mostly dissolved).
Add egg and stir well. Stir in vanilla extract.
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Give your wet ingredients another brief whisking to ensure ingredients are well combined, and then, using a spatula, carefully fold dry mix into liquid (do not over-mix, a few flour lumps are OK at this point).
Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
Evenly divide batter between prepared muffin cups, filling each liner 3/4 way full.
Sprinkle muffin batter generously with coarse sugar.
Bake on 425F (220C) for 8 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 (175C) (do not open the oven door or remove the muffins, just leave them in and reduce the temperature) and bake another 10-12 minutes.
Do not over-bake or your muffins will dry out!