• 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion, 140g)
• 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
• ⅓ cup vodka (80ml)
• 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• ¾ teaspoons table salt
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (794g)
• 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons heavy cream (265ml)
• ¼ cup grated parmesan (20g)
• 16 oz penne pasta (453g)
• 2 Tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil
Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat until butter is melted and pan is hot. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened (about 3-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add vodka and cook, scraping the bottom of the pot, until vodka is reduced by about half and you no longer get slapped in the face by the smell of alcohol if you whiff the steam.
Add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until mixture is smooth and tomato paste is well incorporated.
Add whole tomatoes, breaking them up with your spatula or spoon.
Drizzle in cream and stir until well-combined.
Use your immersion blender (or blender) to puree the sauce until smooth. Then, return to the pot.
Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Prepare pasta while mixture simmers. When finished cooking, reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
Add cooked, drained pasta to pot with a splash of reserved pasta water and add grated parmesan and sliced basil. Stir well and continue to simmer over low heat. Serve and Enjoy!