• ⅓ cup unsalted butter (38g)
• 1 medium yellow onion diced (140g)
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour (31g)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon ground mustard
• ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
• 4 cups chicken broth (946ml)
• 2 cups whole milk (473ml)
• 1 pound gold potatoes chopped into ½” pieces (about 3 cups/455g)
• 2 large carrots cut into coins
• 2 ½ cups mixed frozen veggies (11 oz/320g)
• 3 cups shredded chicken
Place butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot and cook over medium heat until melted. Add onion and saute until softened (about 5 minutes).
Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir until absorbed.
Add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, mustard, and thyme and stir to combine.
Drizzle in chicken broth slowly, while stirring.
Gradually stir in milk and stir until well-combined.
Add potatoes and carrots and frozen veggies and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken.
Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is warmed through, then serve.