Sweet, no-churn, egg-free, no ice-cream-maker-required Salted Caramel Ice Cream loaded with fudgy brownie bits.
After a long, cold weekend of waking up to a backyard more thoroughly frosted than a glazed grocery-store donut and a surprise, slushy bout of premature snowfall, Zach finally agreed that being able to see his own breath inside the house was a bit much and conceded to turn on the heat and breathe some much-needed warmth into our home. It was a relief, my fingers are plagued with what I can only imagine must be poor circulation and the weather has left me chilled to the bone, my hands rarely venturing far from my pockets or untucked from beneath my armpits.
But… for some reason… I’ve recently found myself nagged by a wicked impulse to make something that would do nothing to help keep me warm, something much more likely to make me colder, something very, very frozen.
In my defense, it was that hot sultry homemade caramel that was the impetus for this recipe. There’s nothing quite like the smooth, lightly salted and robustly flavored “sauce” fresh off the stove-top, cooled just enough to not permanently scorch your tongue. There’s everything warm and cozy about homemade caramel sauce, and therefore (I will argue, anyway), about this so-easy ice cream.
Loaded with brownie bits that are fudgy and chewy and extremely chocolaty (especially if you follow this recipe for them), it’s simply irresistible, regardless of the weather.
This is a quite sweet ice cream, which I’m sure you’ve been able to gather by this point, utterly bursting with caramel.
The color is a bit deceiving; the condensed milk and heavy cream make for a very pale appearance, but the caramel flavor is intense and unmistakable in each spoonful. And, because I thrive on excessiveness and knock-your-teeth-out sweetness, I’m going to recommend an additional drizzle or so of caramel on the top. Preferably still-warm or re-heated. Definitely from-scratch.
For now, I’ll seek out warmth in other ways, and until next time you can find me under my blanket eating this ice cream until my fingers fall off.
- 1 1/4 cup room-temperature caramel sauce divided (storebought or use the caramel recipe found here )
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup brownie pieces storebought or use this favorite recipe
- Stir 1 cup caramel sauce, condensed milk, and salt together until well-combined.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat heavy cream in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold caramel mixture into whipped cream (you may need to use the electric mixer on low-speed at first to help get things started).
- Fold in brownie pieces.
- Transfer to a 9" bread pan and swirl with remaining 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- Cover with clear wrap and freeze at least 6 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.
- No-churn ice cream melts a bit faster than regular ice cream, keep this in mind when serving.
You May Also Like: