Sweet, egg-free, cookie dough bliss. Sandwiched between two crunchy, salty pretzels and dipped in dark chocolate, these sweet & salty no-bake sandwiches can be made in a flash (and are likely to disappear even faster).
I’ve never been one to dip my french fries in a Frosty.
All of my friends did it. The peer pressure was there (this is the extent of the peer pressure I endured throughout college). But the idea was always so… unsettling to me. French fries are for ketchup. The texture would just be off. What is the appeal?
But I think I get it, now. It’s the salty and sweet combo. And while I still don’t dip my french fries in my milkshake and I still (and always will) think my sister is borderline psychopathic for dipping her cranberries in her mashed potatoes, I’ve definitely developed a level of appreciation for the marriage of sweet and salty.
A sprinkle of salt can really enhance the flavors of something sweet, and this combo has quickly become one of my favorites. You may have noticed that I’ve realized an undying love for all things salted caramel, and, most recently, I decided to bring a little bit of saltiness and a little bit of crunch to one of my all-time favorite sweet treats — cookie dough.
These little bite-sized snacks are no-bake and just couldn’t be any easier to make. Sweet, simple, and completely egg-free cookie dough is neatly smooshed between two snappy mini pretzels. The crunchy texture of the pretzels is perfect against the soft dough, the saltiness a perfect complement to its chocolate-studded sweetness.
They’re bite-sized and they take only mere minutes to make. They’re also 95% of the reason I’m not going to be able to fit into any of my shorts this summer.
If you have a few seconds this weekend, make sure to whip up a batch. I promise you won’t regret it… not until you dig out your summer shorts, anyway.
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cookie Dough Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers
- 2 Tbsp nonpareils for sprinkling (optional)
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand-mixer), cream together your butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir well.
- With mixer on medium-low speed, gradually add in your all-purpose flour until all ingredients are completely combined. Be sure to stop your mixer periodically to scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Gradually add heavy cream to mixture until completely combined (again, pausing to scrape sides and bottom of bowl).
- Stir in mini chocolate chips
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll it in your hands to form a ball*. Slightly flatten with your palm, and place it on top of one pretzel. Sandwich with another pretzel, and set aside on a wax-paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all of the cookie dough has been sandwiched.
- Melt your chocolate according to the instructions on the package.
- Once chocolate has melted, take your pretzel-sandwiches one at a time and dip them halfway into the chocolate. Return to wax paper and immediately sprinkle with nonpareils or sprinkles, if using.
- Repeat until all sandwiches have been dipped and sprinkled.
- Allow chocolate to set before eating.
!*There is some buzz online about possible links between eating raw flour and E.Coli, so please eat at your own risk.
You Might Also Like: