I am in peach blackberry gingersnap heaven right now.
Trust me, that’s a place. At least, I am 98.8% confident that it must be after eating this peach-blackberry gingersnap crisp. Devouring this peach-blackberry gingersnap crisp, rather, as much as I could while my family tackled it as well. It didn’t stand a chance. How many times can I say peach-blackberry gingersnap crisp before you get annoyed? I’ll stop now.
I used to not be a big fan of fruit in my desserts, but as you might be able to tell from a few of my previous posts I’m slowly coming around. Maybe it’s the hot, HOT weather we’re having right now, but I’ve been craving lighter, fruit-laden desserts recently.
But, um, not just fruit, ya know. It needs to be surrounded by a significant amount of crumbly buttery sweet goodness in order to keep my attention.
I’ve always been a fan of the classic, basic apple crisp, but sometimes I crave excitement.
Evidently, excitement for me is using peaches instead of apples and adding gingersnap crumbles to my crumb topping, but hey, I’m OK with that.
This crisp is full of juicy fruit covered in a jazzed up (thanks to the addition of ginger snaps) crumb topping.
The spicy snap of ginger in these cookies makes a perfectly crisp, cookie topping that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the peaches and blackberries.
Crisp gingersnap topping + sweet warm fruit filling + cold, (yet melting) vanilla ice cream = melt in your mouth oh-my-gosh-give-me-another-scoop-right-now perfection.
It’s just simple math.
And yes, I definitely recommend topping it all off with ice cream because what warm fruit crisp doesn’t deserve a cold scoop of vanilla, but hey, that’s optional.
As for making this crisp right now… Not optional. Dooooo itttttt.
On another note completely unrelated to peach-blackberry gingersnap crisp goodness, on Thursday Zach and I settled on our house!!!!!
We are now officially home owners and I am so excited and I have never before in my life been so in love with Home Depot or so excited to buy a bucket of paint.
Skillet Peach-Blackberry Gingersnap Crisp
- 5 peaches sliced, pits removed
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20 gingersnap cookies
- 3/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 stick cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet* combine peach slices, blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, corn starch, vanilla, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Crush gingersnap cookies into small pieces. I did this by placing them in a resealable plastic baggie and crushing with a rubber mallet. Alternatively you could crush with a rolling-pin or pulse in a food processor.
- Pour cookie pieces in to medium-sized bowl. Add brown sugar, flour, and oats and combine.
- Using a pastry cutter (or knife and fork), cut cold butter into the mixture. Cut until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spread crumb topping evenly over the fruit filling in the skillet.
- Bake on 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow crisp to cool slightly before serving, preferably topped with ice cream.