Shoutout to my husband Zachary today. Without him this blog would not be possible.
No, seriously guys. I wouldn’t be doing this without him. Zach and I have an informal understanding where I make dinner and he washes the dishes. Or he makes dinner and he still washes the dishes. It is the best “understanding” ever. If I had to do my own dishes all the time this blog would be nothin’ but PB&J and grilled cheese on paper plates. Maybe a hard-boiled egg or two, I dunno.
But thanks to my wonderful husband I can make delicious meals and treats that require lots of measuring cups and spoons and beaters and pans and baking dishes and whatnot. And once I’m all done I get to smile at him and say “thanks dear” while he tackles the mountain of dishes and puddles of sauce and grease splashes on the counters (you’re judging me now, aren’t you?).
But sometimes I try to make cleanup a little bit easier on him by making dishes like this amazing ONE PAN Saucy Chicken with Potatoes.
And then I get to feel pretty good at myself for making dinner and making his portion of the dinner workload easier until I hear him yell “Geez how did you get tomato sauce all the way over there!”.
I’m a mess. He knew it when he married me, though.
Yesterday was a cold day (aren’t we done with those yet) and I was craving something a little less spring-y and a little more hearty and comforting. This dish is savory and eats very much like a thick stew and the potatoes do a fabulous job of absorbing the different flavors of the sauce. I recommend serving it with a thick slice of crusty bread, or a salad if the weather ever finally takes a turn for the better!
I hope you enjoy this savory dish, I have something a little sweeter coming your way for Wednesday 🙂
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cups quartered & sliced russet potatoes about 3 potatoes
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add chicken and potatoes, cooking until chicken is almost completely browned
- Add onions and garlic, cook on medium heat about 10 minutes or until onions are transluscent
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper and stir.
- Bring liquid to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and check that potatoes are tender. If not, return cover to pot and check every 5 minutes until potatoes reach desired quality.