I’m not a very good multitasker.
I’m no good at it. I’m more of a… start-10-different-things-and-get-distracted-during-each-of-them-and-maybe-finish-one-but-that’s-it-er.
That’s kinda how this recipe came about.
I was in the middle of cleaning my room and took a load of laundry downstairs to start. There were still some clothes in the dryer, so I started to fold them when I couldn’t help but wonder if my sugar gliders were due to be cleaned. I poked my head in their cage and found they were just about due, so I started to clean their cage and toys. Around that time my sister Jaclyn started to complain she was hungry and there was nothing for dinner. So, of course I wondered if there were enough ingredients lying around to make something, and hey I could really go for some kind of barbecue right now and oh I still have some leftover chicken thighs (I seriously love how flavorful they are, though not everyone in my family prefers them to chicken breasts) and before I knew it, voila, this dish was born.
And then I realized that I had half-folded laundry sitting on the open dryer door, a room that was still half a mess, and glider wheels/toys that were still sitting out. Oops. Thankfully this dinner didn’t create much of a mess for me at all, so that was easy to clean at least!
This dish is tangy, almost creamy from the melted cheddar cheese, and has a hint of sweetness from the honey barbecue. It’s SO easy and quick to prepare (a huge plus if you get distracted easily like me) and serves great both as a comfort food or a laid back, easy-to-make, summertime barbecue-esque dish.
Zach wasn’t with me when I made this so I snapped him a picture and texted him how delicious it was, and this is what I got back:
Zach: “You’re not going to put that on your blog, are you?”
Me: “What do you mean!? It’s delicious!”
Zach: “Maybe… but it’s ugly.”
You guys aren’t that shallow, right? Ok so it might not win any beauty pageants, but that doesn’t matter because it is going to win over your taste buds.
Mmm, it tastes beautiful to my mouth.
Honey Barbecue Chicken & Rice SkilletPrint Pin Rate
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 jalapenos ribs and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cups honey barbecue sauce
- 2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can drained)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs, cooking until almost no pink remains, cutting into bite-sized pieces as you cook
- Add chopped onion, cook about 3 minutes (until onion begins to become translucent)
- Add jalapeno and stir all ingredients, cook for about 2 minutes
- Add rice and water and cover, cooking for five minutes with heat on medium/low
- Uncover and add honey barbecue sauce, corn, and cheese. Stir with spatula or wooden spoon to combine all ingredients.
- Stir until cheese is melted and corn is warmed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve