As promised, here is the recipe for the Coconut and Orange Oatmeal Cookies I made yesterday.
I adapted this recipe from a very basic one I found online but made some changes.
Since some of my family members don’t like the texture of coconut, I made half of the batch without the coconut or orange extract.
They were pretty tasty as well and not a single one of my family members could tell they were eating slightly healthier cookies. This recipe made about 3 dozen cookies, and after some calculations I figured out each regular oatmeal cookie (without coconut) is only about 55 calories!
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp quick oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Beat butter, applesauce, sugars, and vanilla together until combined. Scrape sides of bowl and stir again until combined.
- Add egg, mix until combined.
- In medium-sized bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add dry mixture to butter mixture, stirring until combined
- Add shredded coconut, stir until combined
- Chill dough approximately 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Drop dough by rounded spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet (or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper)
- Bake in oven for 8 minutes
- Cool on pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely